Top 5 reasons why we need GMO labeling:
1. Everyone has the right to know what is in the food they eat. American companies already label the GMO food they export to 64 other countries. We deserve to know too.
Read on for the other 4 reasons and for links to informative articles about how GMOs and GMO-labeling impacts the environment, economy, and community.
2. Labeling GMOs is the necessary first step in the fight for control over our food system. Over 80% of processed food contains GMOs, and now GMO fish, apples and corn are coming to the market.
3. Farmers, ranchers and businesses from Washington support I-522 (The Initiative in Washington State to Label GMOs); 99% of the opposition against this initiative is funded by out-of-state corporations.
Here's an article on why GMO labeling will NOT hurt small farmers.
And here is an article about who is actually funding the opposition to I-522.
4. Farming GMO crops uses more pesticides than conventional crops, contaminate our environment, and people who live near agriculture.
Read here about the environmental impacts of GE Crops. (Frightening!)
5. Contrary to industry claims, labeling GMOs does not impact prices of food.
For more general information, check out Yeson522.com. Please support GMO-labeling!